Mont-rebei Canyon, adventure for hikers
Mont-rebei Canyon -Congost de Mont-rebei- in the regions of La Noguera and Pallars Jussà , is one of the most scenic landscapes in Catalonia. It is an impressive limestone rock wall crossed by the Noguera Ribagorzana river, the natural border between Catalonia and Aragon. You will get speechless after its unspoiled and rugged landscape and the uniqueness of its rock-cut itineraries. Besides it’s also the only great gorge in all of Catalonia.
The pine forests remain in the background to the rocky walls and canyons that the river, on its descent from the Pyrenean peaks, has been carving for millions of years to break through the Montsec mountain. The canyon, with vertical walls reaching 500 meters in some parts impresses even the most adventurous.
What to do?
- Beat vertigo through its walkways, well known by hikers as they offer spectacular views of the river and pristine vegetation, a real challenge.
- The cliffs that encircle the canyon of the Noguera Ribagorzana river allow adventure sports lovers to practice both climbing and paragliding. It has almost 200 equipped routes, ready to put on your harness and climbing.
- Mont-rebei canyon: It is the classic Mont-rebei route (GR1). Ideal for a day trip, since it’s 4 kilometers long and with an approximate duration of 4 hours.
- Queixigar and the Altamiris viewpoint: This is a 2 kilometer ascending route, ideal if you don’t have much time and can only spend half a day on it.
- Obaga Gran and de los Carboneros : Another beautiful and striking itinerary that starts from the same car park. It takes about 3 hours to travel its 2.5 kilometers.
With the family
- Practice kayak and canoeing along the long river that runs through Mont-rebei. At the entrance of the canyon there are different canoe rental companies that will let you enjoy the adventure as a family.
- Get ready for the tours suitable for the little ones. The Congost offers different routes, some of which are shorter, such as the Altamiris viewpoint, which can be done easily with children.
Congost de Mont-Rebei
La Masieta de Mont-Rebei
Phone: 608 29 20 44