Alt Pirineu Natural Park, unmatched flora and fauna shelter
Alto Pirineo Natural Park is a paradise on earth. With its more than 60,000 hectares make it the largest in all Catalonia. Its location, between Pallars Sobirà and Alt Urgell, offers visitors an enormous diversity of landscapes and ecosystems. It’s in this park where you can trace the footsteps of brown bears, otters, chamois, vultures, white partridges, or the Pyrenean lizard, and also where you can discover the strange desman, an animal of the mole family that it only lives in this area.
Geology is the Queen of the Park: Admire Certascan Lake, the largest glacial lagoon in all Catalonia, or contemplate the Pica d’Estats view, with its more than 3,000 meters of altitude stands as the highest mountain in the area.
What to do?
- Enjoy the fresh air. The Park has an extensive network of itineraries for hikers well signposted, so put on your boots and get lost in the mountains. These trails form a network connecting the valleys and main areas through the recovery of historic paths. There are many types: long distance, to observe wild fauna, geological, and even following in the footsteps of the last Cathars -Good Christians- in Catalonia.
- Discover hidden treasures. Another good option is to visit the different villages that surround the park, there are real gems in the form of Romanesque and Baroque buildings.
- Sign up for one of the activities. The Natural Park Team organizes a whole schedule of activities per season. It can be consulted on the Park website parcsnaturals.gencat.cat/es/alt-pirineu.
- Port Ainé – Mirador del Pallars, Snowshoes: The route begins at the Port Ainé ski resort and climbs through the magnificent black pine forest of La Coma del Forn.
- Climb the Pica d’Estats, Iconic Mountain of Catalonia: Its journey up to 3,143 meters of altitude leads to the highest point in Catalonia and one of the most famous mountains in the country .
- Estany de Baciver des de Beret: The excursion starts from Orri car park, and goes up to the crystalline Baciver ponds. At an altitude of more than 2,100 meters, you will come across the two glacial lakes that are part of the Park.
With the family
- Torrasa dam. Calm waters, trout, bicycle or horse routes … the reservoir is an ideal option to spend a family day.
- Estany de la Gola. It is a whole valley with routes for different levels, tastes and moments. Make sure you check the condition of the arrival access, especially in winter.
- Park passport for families: www.exploraelparc.cat. A scout card for the smallest of the house. An educational and fun initiative to visit natural landscapes, carry out activities and download interactive material. Get all the stamps in to your passport, it has a reward!
Data of interest
Alt Pirineu Natural Park
C/ de la Riba, 1
Tel: 973 62 23 35
Fax: 973 62 20 70