The gastronomy of Lleida pays tribute to the good Mediterranean work
The gastronomy of Lleida pays tribute to the Mediterranean. Traveling to Lleida territory will give you the opportunity to enjoy a simple gastronomy filled with traditional recipes, influenced by Catalan inland cuisine and Huesca cuisine. Any of their dishes deserves to be tasted!
Given the great diversity of landscapes that the Lleida Pyrenees offers, the flavors of its gastronomy could not be less genuine and varied. Along with their artisan and traditional tradition, the variety of products is also very wide, with different features and subtleties depending on whether it is the cuisine of the Pyrenees, the Pre-Pyrenees or from the plain of Lleida.
Land of Mushrooms
The forests, meadows and mountains of the Pre-Pyrenees and Lleida Pyrenees hide a large variety of mushrooms, which are waiting to be discovered by amateur and expert pickers. The latter secretly keep the places where the best mushrooms grow to fill their baskets each fall. Especially, we can find them in Val d’Aran, Alt Urgell, Alta Ribagorça, Pallars Jussà and Sobirà, La Segarra and Solsonès.
Around the world of mushrooms, a multitude of exhibitions, conferences and gastronomic samples are held with tastings of dishes cooked with mushrooms, sale of products, trips to the forests and even contests!
Pallars Jussà is one of the busiest regions in the world. If you’re interested, be sure to visit their agenda.
Talking about Lleida is talking about wine. It was the Romans who introduced the farming of vineyards in this territory, leaving a heritage that today, so many centuries later, remains intact. In the demarcation there are numerous wineries where technology and tradition go hand by hand to offer delicious and varied wines.
- Wine with Protected Designation of Origin Costers del Segre. White, pink, black and sparkling. The wines of the middle basin of the Segre river, between the Pyrenees and the Ebro river, with vineyards between 200 and 1,100 meters of altitude, are unique. These wines, with a Protected Designation of Origin, are made in a traditional way to obtain an exquisite quality!
- Wine route. The wineries that make up the Lleida Wine Route are part of the PDO Costers del Segre. A complete itinerary runs through these wineries, with stops at restaurants, vineyards and local products and culture. Recommended for wine lovers: www.rutadelvidelleida.cat
There are many other quality products in the Lleida region. We encourage you to savor the following:
- Meats such as protected veal from the Pyrenees and all pork products.
- Cheese such as Cendrat del Montsec or cheese and Cadí butter.
- Sausages such as the famous xolís -cured sausage- or the girella -the only Catalan lamb sausage-.
- Products from the garden, fruit and forest, highlighting chanterelles and snails .
- Extra virgin olive oil.
On the other hand, in terms of elaborations or typical dishes,snails casserole, llauna or brutesca, coca de recapte, the cassola de tros, the cassolada and the famous Olla Aranesa -Aranese pot-. Thus, the art of restoration in the lands of Lleida is based on a rich and varied local cuisine in which the growing of new cooks and recipes is combined with a tradition with millenary roots.